Monday, July 28, 2008

Garden Inspirations (& Weekend Memories)

Hub and I went to the cabin this weekend and on the way stopped to meet up with this Chatty Clan plus Mum & Dad on Friday evening for a Fish Fry featuring the fish they had just caught that week at the resort they were staying at (which was just 16 miles from our cabin). From there we went over to our cabin for the weekend and they all came over to visit us on Saturday (the day they had to leave the resort).

Some weekend memories…in no particular order:
~We all received countless bug bites, mostly from annoying horse flies.

~I seemed to be a magnet for spills…At Friday's dinner, a gusty wind picked up picnic plates and sitting downwind from hubby, I got his plate tossed onto my lap…fish fry bits, watermelon juice, Sprite, etc. Then on Saturday, an empty bucket (that had just been dumped out with the fishy water my Dad had used to swish his fresh fish filets in to get the blood and junk off) was set back on the filet table and being mostly empty, the wind took it and blew it at me…leaving me sprayed with the fishy water remnants from this bucket. Yuck!

~Eating almost every delicious meal that we could outside on the old red picnic table.

{Mum’s homemade berry muffins...yum!}
{Mine and Hub’s new favorite invention: onions, red peppers, green peppers, and a finely chopped clove of garlic…dotted with a couple good-sized pats of butter...sprinkles of sea salt, pepper, and a dash of curry…then wrapped up in tinfoil and grilled to sweet perfection. So simple and yet so good. I love it because there are no pans involved!}


~Going out star-gazing on Saturday night and seeing many shooting stars and some false ones too (those darn lightning bugs were tricksters…)

~Dad’s prized fish of the trip…a giant from the deep…his 27 ½” Walleye. He happened to catch this while all 4 of us were squeezed onto the little leaky aluminum fishing boat on Saturday evening at dusk. When he finally got it in, it was flapping around like crazy on the bottom of the boat & both Mum and I started squealing like the girls we are and making quite a scene on the calm lake as we were both getting sprayed by this huge walleye…and so the guys promptly took us & the fish in (and then they promptly went back out on the lake). I don't know if I've ever seen Dad look prouder than at this very moment…


~Mum and I took a few walks and found wild blueberries, watched common yellowthroat warblers feeding each other, and saw many sweet & humble gardens all along this nearby dirt road we like to walk on the other side of the lake. A sweet, pretty garden makes a walk all the more fun and intriguing…naming the flowers and noticing many humble garden accents…these inspired me for things I could do in my own garden someday, when it gets to be a little more of a garden!

{An old glass plate attached to a rusty post...why not stick a lovely vintage plate in your garden?}

{Or better yet, an old colorful chair?}

{With a basket full of flowers on top perhaps? This flower basket looks like it had seen better days though.}

{This particular garden has the sweetest tiny garden fairy above a bird bath, and lots of neat old hunks of smooth wood stuck here & there...}

{And lastly, what else but (ceramic/stoneware) mushrooms!}

No comments: