Monday, July 14, 2008

A Postcard Perfect Summer Weekend

From beginning to end...it seemed to me a postcard-worthy, picture-perfect weekend in every respect:

~Sharing an overflowing paper basket of cheese curds (from the downtown street festival) with Hub on Friday afternoon…(I’ve now gotten my fix to last me another year…which also motivated us to get out and kick up our usual daily walk into a run instead!)

~Enjoying an authentic Summer thunderstorm on Friday evening…complete with thunder, lightning, and flickering lights…and making it all the more cozy to enjoy this warm and nutty Almond Torte (which I had just baked) by candlelight.


~Sitting on the deck in the Saturday morning sunshine & browsing through my latest MS Living mag…learning how to properly save heirloom tomato seeds and other such important "good things"…(yeah, I don’t think I’ll be doing that anytime soon!)

~Sign-making for our upcoming Yard Sale…(which hopefully will occur next weekend if the weather cooperates.)


~Picnicking by the lake, followed by an invigorating yet demanding hike on Sunday…rewarding us at the top with a beautiful, expansive view of Lake Superior.



~Watching…we also watched 2 whole movies (Bella & Amazing Grace)! Yes, I know…this is A LOT for us to watch in a weekend, or even a month, since we’re really not big movie folks…but for some odd reason we did and both of the movies we watched were so very good.


“Bella” was a beautiful and uplifting story about the value of human life, how precious it is…and now that I think about it, so was “Amazing Grace”…it was about one man’s unyielding passion and heart to end the slave trade and how his love for God would not allow him to ignore this wrong. His belief that God created all men equal motivated him to continue his political career in order to work to right this wrong. Its interesting how in today’s political arena, it is often seen as wrong to mix moral convictions with politics. Yet while other men were motivated by money and greed to keep the slave trade going, it was entirely due to this man’s faith and spiritual convictions that caused him to continue in his efforts to put an end to slave trade.

So I even learned a little history this weekend too. Isn't Red Box great? Or rather, it can be (to paraphrase Martha) "a good thing"! ;)

1 comment:

Dana said...

fancy yard-sale signs :)