Tuesday, September 7, 2010

tomato time

Hub and I have been growing tomatoes for several years. But this season has been our best one yet due to the warmer summer and our new sunny growing spot along the house. We grew Big Boys and Cherry tomatoes and the flavor and texture of them has also been the best we've ever had. (And I thought this one that Hub sliced open was about the prettiest thing I'd seen all day.) Not to mention they get pretty big (like softball-sized) and have a very hearty, meaty center. So consequently, we've been eating tomatoes almost non-stop now for the past several days. Last week I made my creamy tomato soup. Hub's made several BLTs. We've had tomato-infused pastas. Spruced up grilled cheese sandwiches one night with caramelized onions and slices of tomatoes. And of course, several have made their way on top of our salads too.
Last night, Hub made salsa with our tomatoes and fresh homegrown parsley (I don't like cilantro except in tiny quantities and you can't beat using homegrown herbs anyhow).
He add lots of fresh-squeezed lime juice, onion, garlic, and jalapeno.
And that tiny green pepper on the plate that looks like a jalapeno...well, that's the last one we picked from our garden and we added it to our nachos.
The salsa was the best ever too. (Do you detect a theme here?)
But this morning, Hub implored that we take a night off from tomatoes.
Just one night? Okay, I guess I can do that...
.....
P.S. I'm thinking of canning some tomatoes. Any good tips? Do you absolutely need a pressure canner thingy? I get overwhelmed by Google sometimes...too much information!

1 comment:

MUM said...

Your photos of the tomatoes and the food sure look delicious! I KNOW what a good cook you are having just been treated to your wonderful home-made lasagna with your own home-made sauce! Sooo Wonderful! Thank you!