Monday, August 30, 2010

"real" sewing

I went to the fabric store Friday night. And discovered how much fun it is to pick out fabric, even on a Friday night. Or perhaps especially on a Friday night as it was so nice and quiet there. And I got excited at all the possibilities a pretty piece of fabric holds. For quite some time now, I've been wanting to make a simple curtain for a little bathroom window. I finally dug in and did it this weekend...my first "real" sewing project.
I've used my sewing machine for tiny tiny little things, mostly sewing on paper, so I was quite intimidated to begin a project like this. Sure, I made a hideous, royal blue sweatshirt in 7th grade Home Ec class. But I've long since lost any sewing skills I may have had at one time.
So I began with the fun part...picking out the fabric: a pretty pale robin egg's blue sort of color fabric with a white design. (Of course I couldn't help but buy some other sweet fabrics too...not sure for what exactly...maybe a pillow?)
And after only 14 calls or so to my mum over the course of 2 days with various sewing/curtain-related questions...I almost, almost have a finished curtain! I just can't decide if I want it to have a lace trim along the bottom or not. Once I do, expect a finished curtain photo to follow soon!
P.S. Our pale pink roses are enjoying their second bloom, their final hurrah of summer...so I keep cutting more & more to bring inside to enjoy them while I can...and I love how they look in this pale pink glass vase. Its always the little things...
~xo, L

3 comments:

babybuff said...

I love going to the fabric store. The only down fall is that I spend too much time and money there. Next time you are in the metro, you should check out Treadle Yard Goods on Grand Ave. It is simple wonderful!

Euphoria said...

I never go there, sewing is not my thing, but I want to see the things you are doing. I´m sure it´s something beautiful.
Lovely roses, by the way!!!

LBB said...

Thanks ladies! I'll have to visit that store on Grand sometime. It sounds dangerous! ;)