Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One Pink Poppy

I had a rather busy day today. A new haircut. With bangs! Brilliant coppery, golden highlights for Fall. It feels so refreshing. Ran errands. Picked up groceries. Skipped lunch and opted for a vanilla coffee cooler and a fresh cinnamon donut hole always set out in a big red bowl at my favorite market. I'm always glad to know I can count on that little complimentary donut hole when life gets busy, ya know? Popped into a favorite craft store to pick up a few supplies. Chatted long and good with a dear cousin friend of mine. Made my special Broccoli Carrot Swiss Cheese Bake to go along with dinner...deli meat on toasted ciabatta rolls. Did some laundry. A little artwork squeezed in here and there. You know, all the usual good, though mostly monotonous, stuff.Oh, and I walked to the mailbox to grab the mail too. On my way there, I glanced over at my little garden in the woods and was surprised to find that my Poppy finally bloomed today, leaning gently against my garden gnome for support! I was beyond thrilled! I was tempted to run down my road and gather all the neighbors! (Not really but you get the point.)
Part of me didn't really think this day would ever come. I've been a very patient girl you see. I've waited a long, long time for this...all the while making innocuous threats to the air against any such critter (ie: slug, deer, rabbit, mystery bug, etc...) that dare touch my special Poppy.
I planted some Poppy seeds way back in March (remember?). Only one seed/plant made it. I had other setbacks along the way to growing this one little Poppy plant too. I won't go into all the details but understand that I'm learning full well all the frustrations of being a gardener. And savoring the small victories as well. Like when you finally (in September!) get your very first Poppy plant to flower. Now, I thought for some reason that these were supposed to be red Poppies, but to my delight it was the prettiest shade of pink, almost a raspberry pink. The petals appear to be made of whispery thin crepe paper. And it also looked as though my little gnome was smoking it right out of his pipe!
Oh, and I have a couple more blooms still to come! See... Aren't the flower buds peculiar?I've learned quite a bit about gardening this Summer. Mostly by trial and error. And I almost can't wait for next year already. So I can plant lots of these seeds, directly into the soil of my new garden. And hopefully have oodles of this pretty flower to enjoy. But for now I'll savor this precious one!

2 comments:

MUM said...

Oh, honey, that poppy is so pretty!I don't have a single poppy in my garden, but, next spring I'll definetly be planting some. You've inspired me!

Dionne said...

Oh what a lovely poppy. I love all the gradients of pink that can be seen in it. Gorgeous.

And hooray for the new Fall look. It sounds like a lovely new 'do!