Just in the past day or two, the lovely Marsh Marigolds have begun to bloom all over our marshy woods, dotting them with pretty bright yellow spots. I think this is the first wildflower to bloom here in this northern region...even a little bit early this year, given the above-average temps we've been having. And I just couldn't resist picking a little bunch the other day to brighten up our table as well.
I remember when Hub and I first looked at this house...and we roamed about the property along with Mum & Dad on a particularly cloudy, gray day in May of 2007....the day we trooped through so many houses here in our hectic quest for a home. The first thing I recall (and probably always will) was Mum's joy and exclamation about the Marsh Marigolds blooming everywhere! At the time, I had never heard of them and had no idea what she was talking about...I was far more concerned with figuring out what the master bedroom would look like! Yet now, I look forward to this cheery yellow flower so much each Spring!
According to my wildflower book, since this flower also grows in England, there's a plethora of antiquated common names for it as well...one of them being "Mary-buds"...which, rather interestingly, this book also notes found its way into one of Shakespeare's plays, Cymbeline: "And winking Mary-buds begin
to ope their golden eyes;
With everything that pretty is,
My lady sweet arise!"
1 comment:
Beautiful!
Post a Comment