Monday, January 25, 2010

silent snow (& messy pizza)

It was a very snowy, gray weekend here. So gray in fact that these pictures are really not very good. But they do tell the tale of our very snowy, very pizza-y, weekend. Not so much tea was consumed. More strong coffee, fruit smoothies, and granola than anything. Too much homemade chex mix. And topped off quite perfectly with a new adaptation of "Emma" on PBS...which I'm not exactly sure about, yet. Did you see it? Oh, and oodles of shoveling/learning to use the snowblower (we received about 10 inches of snow after the freezing rain!), and some very wet snowshoeing. The snow was so wet and heavy (with the temp hovering consistently all weekend around a balmy 33 degrees)...quite the perfect snowball-making kind of snow, which both Hub and I used to our full advantage!

As for the pizzas, we'd really welcome any homemade pizza-making advice. The top photo shows Hub's tragedy of a pizza. His method for getting the pizza from the peel to the stone consists of rapid shaking and rather spastic motions, until half of the pizza (note: my meatless half) is flipped inside-out onto the stone which resulted in a very "burnt pizza" smell throughout the house. The 2nd pizza, which I then took full control of, turned out much better. I gracefully eased the pizza from the peel to the stone (last photo). Hub has now declared me the official "Pizza Peel to Pizza Stone" person...but I'm not quite sure that it wasn't mostly due to luck. We'll see what happens next time. But I'm still debating the costs of just ordering a brick-oven pizza from Sammy's (our favorite local pizza place) versus making our own.

P.S. That's our old Christmas tree in the very first photo. It's become our little tradition since we moved here to stand our tree up out in the snow after Christmas, never mind that a Pine tree really wouldn't grow in our swampy woods. And do you spot the Chickadee in the 4th photo? We've been feeding them from our hands quite often lately! Its such a sweet way to start the day! :)

P.P.S. I still am not quite sure how to clean the burnt-on cheese and toppings on our very new pizza stone? Help!!!

No comments: