Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Holed up at Home {some thoughts & feelings today}

Loving: Packaging...I can’t help it…I’m a fool for lovely packaging, sometimes even more so than the item itself…which is why I like to put a lot of thought into how I package my own little handmade things. On Sunday evening I worked on packaging for my woodland sparkle ornaments and here’s how I’m shipping them out:
In little brown kraft paper boxes…I pulled out the cotton padding that comes inside them...made little cardboard sections (just like real ornament boxes)...filled each section with brown shredded crinkle paper. There's a spot for each ornament and one to spare to hold the hand-twisted wire hangers. Then, the boxes are tied up with a soft, creamy-colored yarn.
Feeling: the rush and anticipation of the holiday season beginning...

Calling: my sweet grandma who hasn’t been feeling herself lately, hearing her kind voice and words of love…

{an old, old photo of us in her kitchen, complete with my eyes closed & front tooth missing}

Smelling: the savory, nutmeg-y scent of freshly baked banana bread

Creating: new ornaments…a new set of woodland sparkle ornaments that will include a bluebird, pinecone, and mushroom…and a very plump, decorated mushroom ornament (about 3 times the size of my little ones) covered in a new crafting product that I’m just loving: crushed velvet for flocking…the brown color of flocking I recently purchased I just noticed is called “bon bon”…how appropriate, right? ;) It's a really fun product but more messy than glitter!

{check out those "flocked" brown spots above...oooh!}

Finishing: up a last minute birthday gift…felt coasters that need to be finished by Thanksgiving!…pics to come, should I finish them in time!
.....
*Note: The petite home (first photo above) is quite tiny and the most recent addition to my collection of vintage paper mache homes…I found it last week while antiquing with mum and our friend…mum bought one too to use in her winter scene under glass (see previous post) and that’s how I’m intending to use this little one too…eventually...when I find the time...but I'm really liking it on my little shelf for now!

3 comments:

Livy said...

Oh, I love the miniature ornament boxes. So adorable! And the "crushed velvet" looks great on the mushroom. I can't image using it myself, as I manage to make a huge mess just with glitter!

LBB said...

Thanks Livy! I always make a huge mess too when crafting...don't let that stop you from trying the "crushed velvet flocking"...the fuzzy effect is so neat that its definitely worth the mess! :)

curiositist said...

Very nice boxs!