Monday, September 15, 2008

The Gravel Road

Would you like to a take a little walk, in the last rays of summer sunshine, when the late afternoon shadows are cast long?

This is the gravel road that Hub and I walk down nearly every day. These are some images from our glorious Friday afternoon walk (before the weather turned foul for the entire rest of the weekend).

Lately we’ve been noticing this gorgeous crab apple tree just bursting with ruby red apples. We usually view it in the late afternoon when the sun is catching it just right, the tiny red apples appearing almost to glow. When we first noticed it, it instantly reminded me of a childhood memory. It made me recall the beautiful, clear red crab apple jelly that my Grandma would make every year from the crab apple tree in her yard. I hadn’t thought about that in a very long time. But I remember biting into those tiny tart apples that for some reason were so irresistible, regardless of their immense tartness. And I remember the joy and simple pleasure I felt when she would send our family home with some of her special jelly. Eventually the tree grew old and needed to be cut down. I remember that day in particular and feeling a little sad about it. Oh I miss that jelly.

This healthy looking tree is now loaded with bright apples that I think no one picks. Would they mind if we picked them, I wonder... I’d just like a little taste of that tartness again.

Above is the bold, yellow "Common Tansy"...a wildflower true to its name if its abundance everywhere we look along roads and fields is any indication. It has been blooming for several weeks now and doesn't seem to be giving in just yet to the cooler weather...a sturdy little thing...no doubt which must play into its proliferation.

Finally, a sweet pair of deer greeted us where the gravel road ends. And that is where our little walk ends...thanks for coming along!

2 comments:

Dana said...

neat photos, Binner :)

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

nice vintage feelin' photos