Over the past several months, for whatever reason, I’ve been finding myself drawn to objects from my childhood. I only just recently came to notice this pattern. Like with this old drawing table, or this little girl figurine, and now with my newest childhood treasure that I’ve brought back into my repertoire of treasures in our home: my old jewelry box that I loved when I was a little girl. It actually first belonged to my Mum when she was a little girl and then she gave it to me.Perhaps this phenomenon has to do with moving away this past year and wanting to hold onto things from the past. Or perhaps I’m just getting older and realizing the value of sentiment and the beauty in well-worn, well-loved things. Or maybe I’m just unconsciously reminded of sweet, innocent times whenever I gaze upon these things from my past. No matter the reason, I’m just glad I’ve hung onto some of these things rather than getting rid of them during a time in my life when perhaps I wasn’t so sentimental. I would be deeply saddened now if I had.
I recently pulled my pretty box out of the closet and found it filled with old jewelry (circa the 90s...lots of gold!) and beaded necklaces I had made as a child. All the while on my dresser sat a much smaller, rather boring and traditional, green leather jewelry box that was bursting with the few pieces of jewelry I do wear. This made no sense. So I made the switch and am loving the change...
The jewelry box’s exterior is a dusty, rosy pinkish color with an embossed-like pretty pattern that rims the outside edges. I love the soft, worn look of it sitting upon and contrasting with our sleek maple dresser.
The interior's top is covered in a silky fabric with gold, swirly designs printed every so often. The bottom sections are filled with a velvety pink fabric…perfect for nestling my favorite little pieces of jewelry.I’m not the kind of girl who wears a lot of jewelry, but I do have a few special pieces that I love and wear often. Now it's a simple pleasure every time I go to open my “new” (or "old" rather) jewelry box.
No comments:
Post a Comment