.....
We'd planned to just stop by while on our way headed out to run our errands and ask how much for the spindly, spare-branched, Charlie Brown-type trees. Next thing we know we’re in their house, hearing tales from their life history. Married 58 years. 9 children. 39 grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Wars fought. Triumphs and trials along the way. Heartwarming “Christmas tree-buying” stories throughout the years. And mysteriously, every character in every story he told looked like either Hub or I. We laughed so hard. And we even cried. Or at least Pappy and I did. Pappy is such a sweet man. 78 years old (if I recall correctly) and he started planting trees when he was just 6. There’s something sort of meaningful and irresistible about buying a tree from him…our neighbor a mile or so down the road...his front yard full of Balsam trees and strung with those big, old-fashioned Christmas lights. We bought our tree from him last year too…our 1st Christmas here in our new home, new town...and it never dropped a needle. It was a beautiful, full tree. But this year we had other tree-buying plans...we were going to drive out to some land that Hub’s work owns on Saturday. On this day, you could cut down your own tree for $8 and be treated to warm drinks afterwards. It sounded so ideal, so picturesque. But we really couldn’t resist Pappy and his offer of any Charlie Brown tree we wanted for $10.
A whole hour later, tree in hand, Hub decides that since we live so close and the tree is rather dainty, I should drive home and he should just hang onto the tree out the car window. Seriously. It was about this time that it started to snow too. And I laughed harder than I have in a very long time the entire mile home. I think he got this idea from my Dad who's told us about the time he drove home while holding onto a Christmas tree out the car window at the same time. I reminded Hub of this minor detail that my Dad also drove while holding onto his tree. He replied with something like…"I know, he’s one up on me there…Just. Get. Home!” Yet he still has a pretty good story to pass on to our children someday too!
A whole hour later, tree in hand, Hub decides that since we live so close and the tree is rather dainty, I should drive home and he should just hang onto the tree out the car window. Seriously. It was about this time that it started to snow too. And I laughed harder than I have in a very long time the entire mile home. I think he got this idea from my Dad who's told us about the time he drove home while holding onto a Christmas tree out the car window at the same time. I reminded Hub of this minor detail that my Dad also drove while holding onto his tree. He replied with something like…"I know, he’s one up on me there…Just. Get. Home!” Yet he still has a pretty good story to pass on to our children someday too!
I’m so happy to finally have a little, spindly tree. Since it’s sort of in the center of our living/family room, I wanted it sparse so you could see through it. Hub always prefers a very full, healthy-looking tree and I’ve always wanted one like this...a little bit sad and tender-looking, and now I couldn’t be more pleased! With fewer branches there’s far more room to dangle ornaments. I’ve decided this is my favorite tree we’ve ever had...and I think Hub is now starting to come around to my side of thinking too!
.....
P.S. Below are some pics from today...the trees are entirely full of snow, clinging to every little branch and looking precisely like the definition of a "winter wonderland"...brightness & whiteness, every which way I look!
3 comments:
I love your Christmas tree story! It sounds like you should always buy your tree from Pappy (at least as long as he is in the business)!
Your snow photos are as enchanting a scene as only God could design!
Thanks Mum, I agree! :)
Cute story :)
P.S. I didn't know Dad did that!
Post a Comment