









Sunday's sky was low and gray, ominous...heavy with the promise of snow, mist, freezing rain...something? We decided to get out and go for a drive. In mid-January, on a dreary weekend day, it feels good to get out and just go...wherever. So we packed up the baby, some clementines and string cheese...hats, mittens, boots, and headed north up the shore. First stop: our favorite fish house to get some smoked turkey and beef jerky. (They have the most amazing turkey jerky! We drove there twice when I was pregnant and they were out of it both times!) Then little baby Bub fell peacefully asleep for quite awhile in the back, giving us a chance to talk together and rest a bit and gaze out the window at the wide open expanse of the big lake. I really like the feeling of being able to see a far distance. When I lived in the Cities, I remember sometimes feeling a bit boxed up or trapped in a way because of not being able to see for miles and miles. It feels good on the eyes or something. Later on we stopped for a little fresh air just as some light snowflakes began to fall. We bundled baby in his down snow suit and I carried him against me in the BabyBjorn. We made our way down to the lake to show him Lake Superior, the closest he'd ever been to it. Hub showed him his rock-skipping skills...sending them sailing off into the dark, icy lake...while I clung to the wonderful feeling of my precious little one warming up my front, snuggled in next to me, seeing the lake through his eyes for the first time.
No comments:
Post a Comment