Saturday, July 23, 2011

wild gooseberries...

I’ve always liked the idea of finding edible things in the wild…such as berries like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, or the currants I discovered growing in our woods a couple years back…or morel mushrooms (a very rare find!)…and there is nothing quite like the taste of wild asparagus, so tender and fresh! So I was especially delighted to find something new this summer growing on our property...wild gooseberries! Earlier in the season, I thought they were a type of currant and I was waiting for them to turn red...but they never changed color. So recently, after doing a little research online, I found out that they are actually smooth, green gooseberries. I think I'll freeze them to use in smoothies...as there aren't too many and it sounds like they can be pretty tart on their own unless cooked into a pie or jam or some other sweet dessert. But still exciting, oui?! :)

1 comment:

Euphoria said...

Yes! I agree! Very exciting!
When I lived in Patagonia, we used to look for mushrooms every autumn. It was a very traditional family routine. I actually, miss it. Now, in the city, I try to invent fun activities for my daughter but it's very difficult. Everything is so unnatural, massive and unhealthy...