Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Weekend Journal {Wild Loveliness}

This time of year, when Spring is just waiting on the doorstep of Summer, is so beautiful here. Although the weather hasn't been too exceptionally warm yet, and we've had to cover plants and bring in planters due to cold nights more than I'd like...I still find myself outside most every chance I get.

Last weekend was no exception. Friday found us at the driving range, practicing my swing. And then an impromptu hike afterwards in search of morels...again, no luck...but perhaps its been too chilly. We did find some wild asparagus and fiddlehead ferns though, a nice compromise. And I will admit that I "cheated" earlier in the week and bought dried morels. So a wild spring dinner was born. Hub invented something new...baked chicken breasts stuffed with blue cheese, walnuts, and some herbs...drizzled with fresh lemon juice and more herbs on top. I had the easy job (but what I always do) of making my roasted garlic mash (see below for recipe).

Mum & Dad were here visiting for the rest of the weekend and we took plenty of walks and more hikes through the woods. Mum & I discovered lovely Wild Sarsaparilla and some odd but pretty pink pinecones. We planted flowers together in my garden and enjoyed sitting on the front porch, basking in the landscaping loveliness...(tired of hearing about that yet?). ;)

Sunday ended rainy and stormy with Hub and I snuggled on the couch together watching an old Hitchcock movie (The 39 Steps...love it!). So creating and making and working on projects has been put to the wayside, as I'd rather be outside most often. I do have a few new things to share though...hopefully soon. Oh, and do be sure to try that garlic mash below...so, so seriously good!
.....
Roasted Garlic Mash

Cut off the top of a whole garlic bulb, just to expose all the cloves. Set in a dish lined with tinfoil and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Wrap foil up around garlic and pop in the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool and then squeeze the cloves up and out of the bulb. Put cloves on a cutting board, season a bit more, add some herbs if you like (thyme is good) and mash with a fork. Scrape up and put in a little dish. Drizzle with more good olive oil and a hint of truffle oil if you’ve got it…then spread onto good, crusty baguette slices.

2 comments:

Dionne said...

That meal sounds lovely! I just had lunch, but I think I am ready for more food now!

Wow, you know so much about plants! I wouldn't recognize wild sarsaparilla if it bit me in the face!

LBB said...

You're funny, Dionne. But I must admit I wouldn't have recognized it either if it weren't for my trusty wildflower books! ;)