Hub & I spent last week vacationing at the cabin and I know I've likely said this before but the cabin has the best sunsets right across the lake without much to impend the view (as there're no other cabins on that side of the lake) and often glorious clouds that only enhance the sun's departure. I took a photo of the sunset each night we were there...and I think the one above was my favorite, but its hard to choose.
We spent most evenings out on the dock or boat until the sun went down...and come morning, I'd find myself on the dock again with my book and a cup of coffee in hand. We also had these daily visitors...a little duck family always looking for a handout.
Another thing I love about going to the cabin is all the little tiny towns nearby. We visited several during this week there...a drive to Dorset one day to browse around, followed by a fabulous lunch at a little cafe we found in Park Rapids, appropriately named "The Good Life." The food was so good! We must remember this spot.
Another day we golfed in Pine River then antiqued in Jenkins. And the following day we parked in the downtown of Hackensack and biked the Paul Bunyan State Trail heading north. (Me, resting on bench along the trail by Ten Mile Lake.)
These little towns are always fun to explore, but it's also good to get back to the complete quiet of the cabin...and wander off to a patch of wild blueberries.

I'd made note of this patch in previous years but it seems we never were there at the right time when the blueberries would be ready (last year we went later when the blackberries were ripe)...but not this year. We picked a little cupful of blue gems.

And on our final night at the cabin, we made use of another wild resource, fresh fish! Somewhat suprisingly, we'd never done a fish dinner at the cabin before, but this time we were determined to, even despite the so-so fishing. So we improvised using what we had on hand to put together a little fish bake and side pasta dish...
Hub filleted his fresh catches and I promptly washed them up and put them in little tinfoil packets...layered first with thin slices of lemon, then the fish fillets, topped with dabs of butter, salt, pepper, and dill seed (we couldn't locate fresh herbs at any of the nearby stores...hence the dill seed.) I folded them up tightly and poked a few holes in the packets. Then Hub slow-grilled them for maybe 12 minutes or so?
Meanwhile, I made a quick little tartar/dipping sauce (consisting of mayo, a dab of dijon mustard, lots of fresh lemon juice, and a bit of diced dill pickle...more improvising here!) and a whole wheat pasta side dish which consisted of sauteing up some green pepper, onion, and garlic in butter...then adding the cooked pasta to the veggies, seasoning, and topping with parmesean cheese.
Mmm...this may have been one of my favorite cabin dinners yet!
Mmm...this may have been one of my favorite cabin dinners yet!...
More soon! ~L
2 comments:
WOW! That sunset photo is gorgeous!
All the other photos are great, too! Looks and sounds like you had a perfect week of vacation!
I'm glad you had such a lovely week :) By the way, I made it home in the nick of time.
Post a Comment