Tuesday, July 27, 2010

blueberry bliss...

In case you were wondering, no, I did not get trapped under a blueberry bush for several days...although it almost sort of feels that way to me, yet in a good way! After all my wild blueberry & homegrown blueberry gushing as of late, well...then I went to a blueberry farm with a friend last Saturday. Early in the morning, the berries still fresh with drops from a late night rain, I was in utter blueberry heaven! I realized then that my first 2 blueberry forays were really only precursors to this lovely farm that my friend led me to. I felt like we were on a secret mission, driving out in the country, walking down a path in the woods swinging our empty pails, only to come upon the sweetest homestead surrounded by row after row of gigantic blueberry bushes! There were already several people there, already picking...so much for my secret mission dreams...and we were asked if we wouldn't mind hiking further back, beyond the house to another field of blueberry bushes where the berries were supposed to be great. No, no problem we said.

Well, almost a full ice cream bucket or 6 pounds later, I was hefting my lovely berries back to the car with visions of blueberry bliss! I didn't plan to pick quite so many really, but my friend is a quicker picker than me so she kept topping off my bucket for me, saying that I still had room.

So after freezing a lot of them, giving some away, making blueberry pancakes, and just plain eating handfuls of them every time Hub or I open the fridge...I decided to try making a little blueberry jam today (along with some homemade bread)...and it turned out to be the prettiest plum/purple-ish color...but I learned that using my little mini prep food processor makes all the difference when it comes to mashing up the leathery exteriors, just a tip! And so does topping off the bucket. I'm so glad she did that!

2 comments:

Anna said...

I've been picking a lot of fruit lately, too, the blueberries look delicious!

MUM said...

I never knew that there were so many different colors on the blueberries on their way to turning BLUE! Such pretty colors, too! Your jam looks nummy!