Monday, May 17, 2010

lovely day

We had a great weekend here with lovely spring weather and today was even better. Today we awoke with the windows open, the sounds of seagulls flying overhead, and many other bird songs intermixed. Although it was only 5 am or so, I couldn't help but smile in my sleepy state.
Later on in the morning, I crept outside with my camera just to capture the sunny beauty of...well...everything! Such as the sunlight coming through the woods and my colorful spin-y flower dealy that my kind neighbor picked up for me a fews weeks back.
And this sweet House Wren with a stick to add to it's nest. I first spied this wren couple making our bird house their home on Saturday morning while eating my bowl of cereal and sipping some coffee while at the kitchen table...its a great view! Hub was away replacing the brakes on our car at a friends' house (yes, he's becoming quite handy since we moved up North!) and I was so excited to see this but had no one to tell at that precise moment. I hate that! They were quite the distraction all weekend long as we worked outside on a new landscaping project, and even today really, as I just had to watch them make progress on building their nest...like little magicians flying with big sticks (relative to their tiny size) and working out how to fit those long sticks through the little bird house hole. Amazing!
The Marsh Marigolds are at their peak every which way we look.
Pretty wild, random blue flowers hiding behind a big tree in my garden in the woods. I still am not sure what they're called? Our prized Double-Flowering Plum bush...that we've covered up and babied through some chilly (and even snowy) nights over the past couple weeks here. I guess its been worth it!

And finally, a bit of baking today too. Maybe I'll share the recipe later this week...if Mum approves, because it is a mum-recipe! :)

4 comments:

Dana said...

A lovely day, indeed! Beautiful pictures ~ as always :)

Dionne said...

Your garden is so gorgeous, and I love that little bird house, and it's guest. So cute.

And dang, that cake looks divine!

MUM said...

So glad that you and Hub are getting to see the sweet little wrens building their house in your house!Now you'll get to hear them sing every morning! All the photos are so pretty,...you certainly have the artists eye for taking photos!

Karena said...

Lilly I adore your site and images!! Yummy that last one!!

Karena

Art by Karena