Tuesday, March 16, 2010

in the studio {card-making}

...plus a very little (messy desk) tutorial...

This afternoon I carved out a little chunk of time for some good old-fashioned card-making, something I haven’t done in awhile. I love, love, to make homemade cards. There is something so soothing and so nice about creating a little mini work of art, sort of a mini collage really. I like to lay out some elements: papers, ribbons, rippies, and other bits & bobs for adornment and just sort of see what speaks to me…what goes together without any real explanation other than it just feels right. Perhaps colors or elements you wouldn’t normally put together might seem to work well, and since it's just a little card, you can push your normal crafting boundaries and try new things. And after a little while, you find you’ve made something small and special that will no doubt bring a bit of joy to the person you’ll give it to. Usually I’ll make a card with a specific person in mind. But sometimes it’s good to just have some on hand too for last minute things or when you are absolutely not in the card-making mood.
I think my grandma was the first one who really got me started on making cards when I was very young. We would sit together in her tiny kitchen and just make cards together for hours. I remember one time when we were crafting together during a big thunderstorm and the power went out. So she lit a bunch of candles and we just kept on card-making. And it was even better when I got to go into the sacred upstairs area. Her cluttered upstairs, where I recall her sewing machine, closets full of old clothes, and boxes filled with ancient cards, was among other things, filled with all sorts of crafting treasures, nooks and crannies, and you’d never know what little delights you’d find. Such good memories...
But anyways…I’m just rambling now.

Oh, by the way, here’s the best glue that I’ve found for card-making...in my opinion. Just a little tip.

Now, onto my tiny, little, & quick tutorial...more like an idea I came upon using punches and papers...nothing monumental really, but thought I'd share just for fun (please do forgive my messy little desk!):


Cut and fold a card using some pretty, double-sided heavy cardstock paper.


Punch out a shape in the front of the card to create a little "window."


Then, use another paper to punch out that shape again.

Use a corresponding punch and punch around the original shape, which creates a cute little frame.


Glue the "frame" onto the card around the original punched shape. And finish the card with cuteness! Voila! :)

Aren't punches the best?

Happy card-making!

3 comments:

MUM said...

That is the cutest card! The paper is so springy, pastel-y, just pretty! It is sweet,...what more can I say?

kat veronika. said...

thats a brilliant card! i used to make cards all the time and now i don't anymore, definitely something i want to get back into!

Pretty Zesty said...

amazing job!!!! I need to be more crafty. I keep saying it... now it's time to DO IT!