Monday, March 15, 2010

blue skies & pussywillows

A few notes from the weekend:
The sun finally came out on Sunday, after what seemed like a very long hiatus. Everyone, it appeared, was out and about, playing, walking, biking...and everyone seemed so chipper! No one could be cooped up any longer, despite the fact there still is snow on the ground...although it is quickly melting, we still have a ways to go (and I'm hoping we won't get any more!). The pussywillows have indeed popped and were so pretty against the blue sky, but we haven't performed our pussywillow-cutting ritual...yet. It still is a bit early perhaps.
Hub and I took a nice walk down our favorite country road, feeling the sun on our backs and breathing in the fresh air. We unearthed the grill from the garage and lugged it back up on the deck. We relished those first good smells of chicken cooking on our well-seasoned grill. And I thought about how the beginning of Spring seems to do strange things to people who have been living with piles of snow for many months. I get the sense that we're all sort of waking up from our winter slumber and feeling a renewed sense of energy and hope.
But Saturday was the complete opposite of Sunday, weather-wise. It drizzled all day long and was dark and a bit foggy. It made you want to sleep in late (which we did) and stay in bed all day (no, we didn't). But I did manage to start on a bit of Spring cleaning. We dropped off a couple of our entryway rugs that were filthy from wintertime at the laundromat while we went to run other errands. And these clean rugs made me insanely happy this weekend. I know, I know...weird. But it's the littlest things that make me happy. Next up, I want to wash windows and I'm hoping to paint the kitchen!

1 comment:

Lila said...

I love pussywillows! My mother has one and we always trim the branches for decor!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets