Monday, July 13, 2009

Strawberry Fields & Picket Fences

Last weekend was a busy one where I felt very much like a tourist in my own backyard. Since moving here 2 summers ago, we haven't really explored much outside of our own little sphere of familiar spots. But on Saturday we planned to go strawberry picking, something not all that unusual except for the fact that I hadn't gone since we moved here...so we went to a farm that a guy at Hub's work told us about. I was also surprised to learn that Hub had never ever been strawberry picking before. How could we be married this long & I only just find that out? On the way there we drove along quaint, single lane back roads winding our way into the town of Cloquet in order to find an ATM. Although I'm all too familiar with the exit sign for Cloquet while zipping past it on the highway, I'd never actually been there before even though it is only 15 or 20 miles or so from where we live. While searching for the ATM we drove past the one and only gas station designed by Frank Lloyd Wright...perhaps one of his lesser known designs. I'd seen it once on TV and was surprised to see it so unexpectedly here.
Then we drove past the biggest dala horse I'd ever seen. So I just had to peak inside the Swedish store very quickly too. The sign in the background reads "Not only am I perfect, I'm Swedish too." Hmm...those Swedes have quite the ego. ;)
After all our "small town" distractions, we finally made it to the farm to gather these lovely little gems. I once worked on a strawberry farm for a couple of summers and whenever I go picking I always think of the hours spent in the sun, straightening the strawberry runners...so they grow in perfect little rows. And strawberry stained clothing. And happy people. Because I've never seen a grumpy person, or child for that matter, at a strawberry farm.
On our way home, we stopped at this greasy spoon (in Cloquet again)...because Hub has always wanted to go there. Another favorite spot among some of his co-workers. I'll just say that the shake was superb (but skip the onion rings)!
Our last stop on the way home was in the tiny nearby town of Adolph...where Hub recently found his idea of the perfect meat market. I preferred to wait in the car this time while he stocked up on his meat. I noticed that they do have a cute little meat-chopper sign though.
Once home I couldn't wait to make some strawberry freezer jam. Our freezer has been nearly emptied of jam for a few weeks. Unacceptable! Last year I made a small batch of raspberry jam since I didn't get out to pick strawberries, so we were desperately in need. I made a few batches...so yes family, strawberry freezer jam just may soon be in your future! :)
Speaking of family, on Sunday we were back in the car again, this time driving down to the Twin Cities for a family reunion picnic. It was a gorgeous day spent in my 92 year-old Grandma's yard. I think she was loving every minute of it.
The highlight of the day? I'm fairly certain it was the wee baby bunnies found along the picket fence...poor things. All the little ones just couldn't get enough of them. But they were rather cute.
Hope your weekend was just as sweet!

4 comments:

Dionne said...

I've never been strawberry-picking either, which is weird, because back in Australia I lived 30 mins away from a strawberry farm.

Oh my goodness, those little tiny rabbits are the cutest!

Sounds like you had a great time exploring your area, and also some good quality family-time!

Dionne said...

I just saw your Terranium tags featured on Creature Comforts - yay!

LBB said...

Merci Dionne! :)

Dana said...

Your jam lOOks beautiful!!! I should make some again :) Also, I should think about having a malt like that!