I've searched high and low looking for a good veggie burger recipe...but all too often revert to the frozen Gardenburgers found in the grocery store for sake of ease. Last summer I devised my own veggie burgers that turned out to be rather bland and far too crumbly...much to Hub's chagrin every time he had to flip one on the grill.
Last weekend I made another attempt at concocting my own recipe for a tasty, satisfying veggie burger that holds together well when grilled. And this recipe I think is worth sharing. Even Hub with his carnivorous tendencies tried a bite and was impressed. I called on morel mushrooms and toasted walnuts to impart depth and flavor. A few garlic cloves and lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese provided even more of a flavor boost. Using more egg this time around and a bit of olive oil helped to hold things together much better and I found that bread crumbs were an essential building block...adding them gradually as needed to get the right consistency at the end. So without further ado, I offer you my veggie burger recipe:
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/3 cup white rice
- 1 cup (approx.) whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted & roughly chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 morel mushrooms (I'm sure other woodsy mushrooms would work well too)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 eggs
- olive oil (a few drizzles)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp parsley (fresh would be good but I didn't have any)
-1/8 tsp garlic powder
Cook white rice and wild rice as directed. Soak dried morels in hot water for 30 minutes and then dice into rough chunks. Saute garlic, onion, and red pepper in butter along with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (season to your liking) for about 8-10 minutes (until veggies are tender and onion translucent), adding morels in at the end to saute for the last few minutes. Process bread in a food processor until finely ground along with parsley and garlic powder. Once the rice and sauteed veggies are cooled, begin mixing all ingredients together in a bowl, adding the eggs and olive oil at the very end. Press mixture together firmly to form burgers (makes about 6 or 7). Wrap individually or section between sheets of parchment and freeze in a baggie for future grilling! I like to top mine with some lettuce, onion, and sharp cheddar. :)
P.S. Rainier cherries are in season and I had to splurge on these lovelies...I'm always captivated by their pretty peachy pink color and their perfect summer sweetness. But even on sale they're still a bit of a splurge! Yet entirely worth it, oui?




3 comments:
Oooh veggie burgers! I have never tried making my own, but will now!
Wow, as a vegetarian I might have to try this recipe! That's amazing that you came up with it yourself. I have never attempted to do such a thing!
They look delicious and the cherries are beautiful.
x
I love veggie burgers and I'm loving cherry season as well. Beautiful pictures.
Post a Comment