Sunday, June 7, 2009

Baby Birds

While out in my little garden in the woods in the late afternoon sun, pondering where to place some more rocks I had found, I heard the tiniest of tweets. Not quite a tweet really but more a series of small squeaks or chirps. I looked up and just overhead was a tiny, fluffy bird clinging to the side of a tree. I thought it was a baby White-Breasted Nuthatch and as I drew closer, my suspicions were confirmed when I saw its soft newborn feathers and pale coloring...along with its unsuspecting, almost curious manner. Moments later more little baby Nuthatches were squeaking about me, while Mama Nuthatch flew busily about, poking and searching for food in the tree crevices for them.
Now I may have been mistaken but it almost seemed as though these babies were intentionally coming closer to me. Because as I walked through the woods, another little bird would fly towards me and land on a branch just inches away, looking at me in an almost quizzical manner, as if to say, do you have some food for me? I could be wrong, but that's how it appeared!

1 comment:

MUM said...

What cute little birdies! How blessed you are to see these sweet fluffy baby birds! Great photos!