Hub and I have had sort of an eventful week. For us. We usually don’t get out too much and there isn’t a whole lot to do anyway…up here in the Northland (as our news people like to call it). Or at least anything we’re really interested in doing…lutefisk dinners and polka parties really do not intrigue us all that much. (I’m teasing, just a bit.) We’re quite content to be home-bodies for the most part anyhow…but as I reflected on our week, I realized we’ve really stretched ourselves.It started with a Super Bowl party at some friend’s. And if you know me at all you know that I hate football. That’s a bit strong, maybe? But I just don’t get caught up in it, nor in the whole “commercial” fascination that goes along with that event. Yet we all had a fun time together and after the game, we played a little Wii for our first time too...which, I discovered, is just another method whereby I can school Hub at tennis. (Only teasing you, dear!)
Later in the week we stopped in to see Charlie Parr…he is a favorite musician among the college/twenty-something-aged locals. Hub even bought one of his CDs a little while back, so I’m starting to feel a bit like true local now myself. Hub loves music, finding new music, and listening to it live even more. So we listened to him sing and play guitar along with his sidekick harmonica-ist(?). Eventually another guy joined them who played an old washboard...and later he banged on a metal pipe with a hammer. Not sure what that was about.
Thinking back on the evening we may have been on the older end of the age spectrum there. But I’m not really sure. And that’s the trouble when you don’t have children. You start forgetting how old you really are. Because for awhile you’re doing similar things as others around your age at approximately the same time…like going to college, beginning careers, getting married, buying homes, then having children…or not having children. We don’t have children yet…and so in a sense our lives haven’t changed all that dramatically as I see other’s have changed who do have kids. So in a way you feel like you’re still the same age…life is still about you (sort of, if you know what I mean) and you’re doing totally different things than people your same age who do have children. You’re talking about different things. Pursuing different things. And suddenly I’m realizing that we are older, even if we don’t have the children to prove it…to mark the milestones of their ages and accomplishments. Does that make sense? It’s just an odd, wierd thing to sort of begin to realize and feel rather suddenly.
But moving on...on Friday afternoon we went snowboarding. I brought my camera with for the first time because it wasn’t that cold. And usually I don’t fall much, if at all. But of course since I decided to carry my camera in my pocket, I was especially clumsy and caught the edge of my board in the snow and slid down steep hills on my back and slipped on icy spots and landed on my bum more times than I could keep track. After 6 or so runs my knees hurt, my legs ached, and I wasn’t feeling so young anymore. What is going on? I guess I am getting older.
Afterwards we came home and cooked a fantastic dinner together, one of our favorite dishes, and I chipped my tooth…a molar way in the back…on a pistachio, I think. What in the world is going on?
.....
P.S. Hub went out snowboarding again this morning. I didn't feel up to going again...but he is 4 months younger than me after all! I'm quite content to stay home and begin making some Valentine's Day cards. My only problem is deciding which materials to use...I have various piles laying around of vintage cards, new goodies, and things by color. So first, I meet need to get some order...
No comments:
Post a Comment