Friday, January 30, 2009

Cherubs & Seashells {a palette of white}

From our usual milky white snow-covered land to creamy white sandy beaches, the contrast of scenery was lovely and much needed, but all too short…as most vacations are. Although it is always nice to get home again too. Yet I’m still hanging on, grasping really…to those last bits of warm sunshine, remembering the feel of it on my face and the smell of salty sea air…the last glow of golden color faintly remaining on my skin…and the shimmering sun-drenched strands of blonde hair.

While warmer temps, sunny skies, and just the general laid back feeling one has of being on vacation is all wonderful…a highlight of these beach vacations for me is seeking out lovely seashells while strolling the beach, amidst shorebirds running swiftly in and out of foamy waves. It is such a peaceful and relaxing way to start the day. Mum & I also like to compare our finds to those in this shell book, a present I gave to her a couple years ago.

In addition to seashells, I have a fondness for vintage pedestal dishes (and most sweet white vessels really). Coming home I decided to combine the two to create an arrangement...a palette of white. I gathered together a few of the white vessels I’ve collected over time…and am using them to hold some of my most treasured seashells, also collected over time…to try to prolong that feeling of sun, sea, brightness…amidst the cold season of winter that will linger on and on here for quite a while still. And in addition to that, the sweet cherub dishes are perfect for ushering in Valentine’s day which is just around the bend.

I have some "seashell" craft ideas swirling 'round in my head that I can’t wait to try out and hopefully share the results with you!
...
P.S. Also in the realm of "white" and lovey-dovey things…some new work on Etsy…here and here. :)

No comments: