Recently, my sister-in-law requested some fairy & mushroom cupcake toppers for my twin nieces’ 5th birthday party as she was having a “woodland fairy” theme. Mushrooms I could handle, but fairies...wellll, I had never attempted making any human-like sculptures…just mushrooms & owls up to this point. I think she had far more faith in my abilities than I did, but it sounded like a fun challenge and I happily, if not hesitantly, agreed to give fairy-making a shot.My first fairy attempt was a total flop. Hub said it looked like a bumblebee. My next two fairies turned out just a wee bit better. The green fairy has a cute button nose and a big waist, while the blue fairy has a big nose and small waist. This was unintentional, but like people we all have our better features, right? (At least that’s how I consoled myself with regard to their inconsistencies.)
The fairy bodies and heads were made using my standard sculpture-making method of packing peanuts and wire, then covering it paper mache style (as previously seen here). Then I had to get a little more creative using different materials and embellishments to create wings, tutus, hair, and flowery caps. Below are a few notes on the methods and materials used.



I think possibly I know what you’re thinking now…but they don’t have any arms!?! Sure I realized this, but I had to know when to draw the line. I thought about adding some tiny chenille pipe cleaner arms and elaborating more on their faces, but I thought it best to keep them simpler, minimalist. Sometimes things can get too done up, too many different materials and things going on where it can start to look a bit crazy and mishmash. Know what I mean? Or maybe these do look a bit crazy! Either way, these little fairy gals kind of grew on me as I was making them and I’m so glad they were sent off to top my sweet nieces’ cupcakes at their party this past weekend. What an honor! I only wish I could have been there to celebrate with them!
Happy (belated) Birthday, girls! ~xo~ Auntie L
1 comment:
Such a nice story about all of your thoughts that went into making these sweet fairies! The photos are so cute and the comment boxes next to the photos compliment them so well. MUM
Post a Comment