Thursday, June 19, 2008

So I have this idea...

This is a phrase hubby often hears me say…as I have so many ideas…most of them not all that great. But he always appeases* me and listens so attentively (at least I think he’s listening) but perhaps he’s more likely thinking, “oh no…here we go again…”

My latest little idea popping up is to take my whimsical, paper cut-out creations and turn them into mini, three-dimensional sculptures. I recently tested my idea with these tiny bird sculptures (see pics above & below) featuring my signature little cut-out birdy with the 2-pronged tail.

I made the framework for my bird sculpture (or the “armature” as it is technically called) using wire and a super high-tech secret ingredient: packing peanuts. Yes, packing peanuts…strange, I know. But I found that they gave me just the right stability yet flexibility within the wire framework so that my delicate wire frame would not collapse during the paper mache-ing phase.

Then I made very small nests for my little birdies using wire, spanish moss, and jute twine. I added some of my favorite flowers to embellish things with, some flocked faux greenery, and made tiny removable pick signs that said "Hello Spring!"
To test out the reaction to my bird sculpture creations, I gave a blue bird to Mum and a pink bird to a dear friend over a lunch that the 3 of us gals had together on March 20th…which just so happened to be the first day of Spring…so I wrapped them up in tiny little boxes with tags tied on that I made which said “Happy Vernal Equinox”. They both are a very kind "audience", so encouraging, and they accepted my "gift" ever so sweetly!

Later on, I decided to make another bird sculpture and place him (or "her" I guess...it is a pink bird after all) in a very rugged, little wire birdcage I constructed.

Then, the other night (on one of my many sleepless Tuesday nights…explanation to come in a later post perhaps about my recent “sleepless Tuesday night phenomenon”) I thought, “why stop there with the little birds?” So my next little mini sculpture forthcoming will be a set of mushrooms…to bring my paper cut-out mushrooms to life, so to speak.

Below is a pic from my sketchbook, dated 3-10-08, for my original bird sculpture idea and the construction plans…a very simplified sort of blueprint perhaps. I’ll post pics of my finished mushroom sculptures very soon…that is if this doesn’t turn out to be another one of my not-so-great ideas.
*After reading my post, hubby would like it noted that he does not appease me, that he actually enjoys listening to my ideas. Consider it noted, hub. Thanks! :)

1 comment:

Julia said...

These are so cute! Thank you :)