Before my wedding, I always dreamed of a bouquet filled with a BIG handful of just these sweet woodland flowers…yet I was married in August, which is so not this flower’s season to shine.
Mum has oodles of these flowers in her garden (since they can spread quite rapidly). Last fall she dug up a few of her plants with their roots intact for me to propagate some in my yard…I finally have my own yard to plant in and I was so excited to be able to grow my very own Lilies-of-the-Valley.
There was a bit of a problem, though, as some critter kept unplanting them for me last fall. I would poke them back down into the ground only to notice that a couple days later, they were dug up again. This creature was not eating the plants, but just digging them up…testing my patience perhaps? This went on a few times and I finally lost hope that they would turn into anything. Until very early this spring, hope was renewed when I saw them poking their little green heads up through the ground. Nature is so resilient, especially this hardy perennial. And alas, due to an unusually cold spring, I have one - just one - little Lily-of-the-Valley in bloom!
3 comments:
absolutely beautiful. great blog, looking forward to reading more.
Lily of the Valley is one of my favorite flowers. I've recently moved and don't have any at my new place - will have to plant some this summer!
i love lily of the valley, too. they're so diminutive in size, but big in fragrance. thanks for visiting our blog!
Post a Comment