Monday, June 23, 2008

Cross-stitching Cuteness

A few days before our cabin vacation, I was at Michael’s in search of some supplies for a very ambitious (ambitious for me) new project.
I couldn’t find what I needed and as I was wandering around the store, getting distracted by other things, I came across an aisle endcap with an assortment of little counted cross-stitch kits on clearance.

The last time I attempted any sort of cross-stitching I was likely 9 or 10, and I’ve really not had any cross-stitching desires since…but I was intrigued by one of the kits with an image of a little fawn turning its head to look at a butterfly sitting on its tail. It seemed like a fun little endeavor to bring along to the cabin and was only $1.50…so why not?
And okay, so really the fawn is Bambi and all of the kits were Disney-themed…but Bambi is a fawn and I’m so sort of in a “fawn-period” right now with all the real life little fawns roaming about our woods at this time of the year.

So here’s my one craft project accomplished while at the cabin. I’m really quite amazed with myself that I finished it. And even more amazed at how much I was enjoying making it, watching the image take shape with each little cross I stitched.

The kit came with a round, plastic white frame, but I turned it into a small hanging pillow/ornament décor kind of thing instead. I sewed some fabric to the back (I just loved this piece which I found in my pile of really old fabric scraps & how the colors complemented each other so well ~ I wish I had more of it!). I also used some pretty blue vintage seam binding as the ribbon loop for hanging. I really like how it turned out! But it’s oh so tiny! Why am I so drawn to creating such tiny things???

Craft magazine had an article in their most recent volume (07) about designing your own cross-stitch pattern using Photoshop to pixelate your own image. I’m very inspired to try that out…now that I’ve rediscovered the fun of an occasional cross-stitch project.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute, and I love that backing fabric! Good for you for getting the kit and finishing!!

LBB said...

Merci! :)

Shar Bar said...

WOW- Lynnie you are a woman of many talents! It is very cute and another fun reminder of the beautiful nature you are enjoying in your home in the North!

LBB said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Shar Bar! :)