Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sweet Sweet Moss

Perhaps my eyes have been so captivated by all the mossy features at this time of year since most everything else has been exceptionally slow to sprout & bloom. Shades of bold green moss pop out against the pale background that is spring in this region. It just can’t help but be noticed. This carpet of green covers rocks and tree stumps, defining their shapes and dressing up the woods with it's beauty. I’m discovering I've quite an affinity for moss and all it's many variations. In fact, I think I'm becoming almost as intrigued with moss as I've been with mushrooms. In the picture above, those little red sprouts growing out of the moss are really only a half inch tall at most, yet viewed up close, they present such an interesting sight of cheery-ness and dainty-ness. I think they are just too cute, tinged at the end with a touch of green. Is it possible for moss to be described as "sweet"? If so, I think this is the perfect specimen for "sweet" moss.

Hubby and I went walking through the woods yesterday evening. My head was down to the ground looking at moss and mushrooms. His eyes looked up to the sky, spotting the migrating warblers. I kept saying "look down at this pretty moss"…and then he’d say "look up at this yellow warbler." Good thing we compliment each other so well in order to draw our sight both up and down to see the wonders of all creation.

I was so inspired by the moss, that I just had to use a little as the backdrop to some new goodies I've finally found time to post in my Etsy shop. More good things to come there too!

No comments: