Sunday, May 20, 2012

sunshine and the supermoon

 
A week ago today we arrived home from a nice long vacation (part work for Hub) in sunny Florida.  Every single day was brilliantly sunny and in the 90s.  (I guess you just need to go in May to get hot weather...as opposed to the complaining I did about the weather the last time we were there.)  And I didn't mind it one bit.  When I go someplace like this I want it to be hot, the pool to feel refreshing, no jeans or sweaters necessary.  
In addition to hot weather, another thing we enjoy about vacationing is the food...and for some reason everything just tasted better, fresher there.  We ate so much fresh fruit every day...including the best ever Florida tree-ripened peaches!  Normally we like to eat out a lot too, but since having little baby Bub, eating out just isn't what it used to be.  Its often more relaxing to just stay in so he can be messy and roam around and not be strapped into a chair while we try to eat a nice dinner. So while we did eat out a few times (highlights being the Tilefish, 2nd to last photo, classico flatbread, and tempura haricot vert with a truffle aioli from bluezoo...Gruyere biscuits and truffled fries with a pickled ramp aioli from The Ravenous Pig), we had fun splurging a bit on some groceries from Whole Foods that we wouldn't perhaps typically buy back home...including the bakery treats of Parisian vanilla macarons (my first ones ever...so so good!) and fruit tarts (photos above)...and we made some really delicious dinners as well...like the Gruyere, fried egg, and asparagus on toasted baguette sandwiches (4th photo).  
It feels so good to be back home now, getting back into our old routines, yet trying to stick to a couple of new things I adopted while on vacation:

1-Taking at least one walk a day with little Bub...now that its warmer here we can actually do this one.  In Florida we went on multiple stroller walks a day and little Bub loooved them so much.  He loves being outside and he's even napping a little better too.
2-Going to bed earlier...In Florida I didn't have as much to do in the evenings as I can find to do around my house...things are always needing to be done here...so I often gave myself permission to hop in bed earlier because I was on vacation...and it felt so wonderful!  So I'm trying to maintain that as well and doing a so-so job!

P.S.  Oh, and that photo of the moon...yeah, that's my not-so-great, truly awful picture I took of the supermoon that occurred on May 5th...it was phenomenal to see in person and we had a great view of it coming up from our place in Florida...did you happen to see that?  wow!

No comments: