Friday, August 26, 2011

at the lake...

we recently squeezed in a mini late summer vacation...it was fun to do a first family vacation with our new little one...i even cracked out my knitting needles again after a long hiatus...it felt good.
and i vowed not to do any laundry while there (even though we have access to washer/dryer) and that felt even better! ;)

some other things we enjoyed... picking wild blackberries (which were the most bountiful we'd ever seen them here)
catching a glorious sunset over the lake (the only one I made it out of the cabin in time for...)
eating some (okay lots of!) delicious seven layer bars (I made them for the first time ever especially for hub's bday...we kinda got hooked on them from the bakery of our local fancy grocery store as a little indulgence after the baby was born...much cheaper to make them myself. I sort of followed this recipe but used 2 cups of graham crackers and a smaller 8x12" pan so the bars would be thicker. oh, and I poured the milk over just before finally adding the coconut...not sure just how important the order of ingredients is but that's what I did! They remind us of these "aloha bars" we'd get in Kauai at the Java Kai coffee shop...I think sometime I might try making them with white chocolate chips & macadamia nuts instead for even more Hawaiian flavor.)
fishing off the dock (hub likes to mix and match his plaids)making delicious gooey ooozing smores (hub kept making them for me while I held baby...not a bad thing at all!)
taking little walks, breathing in the fresh air (I always think its neat how a lot of the cabins up north make their own little signs with their last names on them)
just being together, enjoying the simple things...like finding a pretty blue feather in our path...

3 comments:

Dionne said...

This looks like such a peaceful, relaxing getaway!

I love the look of that layer bar, how yummy!

Dana said...

Hi :) I just heard tonight that you blogged about the cabin ... haven't been on the computer so much :) Looks and sounds like you had a fine little getaway!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun!!