{a package for my brother and sister-in-law...my tag says "Wishing you a very Merry (vintage) Christmas!"...Oddly enough we both gave each other vintage things for Christmas...I'll have to take a photo of what they gave us later...so incredibly cute that it deserves its own post!}
{packaging the Pecan Mandelbrot...you really can't go wrong with a Martha recipe & Martha packaging supplies!}.....
Another Christmas season has past, but before I file this one away in my memory, a few photos of scenes from my Christmas spent with family, some things I made for gifts, and some other ponderings on this recent holiday...
It really was a bit of a different Christmas season for me this year. To start with, we decided not to get a tree. The first time we didn’t get a tree in 8 years of marriage. Which felt a little odd to us at first. We felt like we were letting Pappy (our favorite tree-seller man) down just a bit. Also, Hub and I decided not to exchange gifts with each other either (although he cheated on this little pact quite a bit!). I also (gasp!) didn’t send out any Christmas cards this year. Now, I may be sounding a bit bah-humbug at this point…but there is something to be said for trying to simplify an already crazy, stressful time of year. I truly think one of the main reasons we really skipped the tree as well as exchanging gifts this year was the blessing of some very special news…we will be having our first baby in June! A true miracle and blessing which pretty much makes everything else pale in comparison right now. Lugging out the tree decorations and spending money on material things neither of us really need seemed a bit, well, less than exciting compared to our very exciting news this year. All I really want to think about is what this baby will be like, what things I could knit for the baby, how we should decorate the nursery, and give my body some rest from this stressful season for a year. However I did bake a couple batches of Christmas cookies. And I did put up my favorite little vintage village along with decorating the mantel and a few other special touches to make the house feel a bit Christmas-y. And I even attempted to make caramels again this year. My first attempt at them last Christmas had gone so well. They were delicious! This year, however, different story. For some reason I had 2 caramel recipes…one in a magazine and one printed out from the Internet. The printed out one was folded in half and stuck in the magazine by the other recipe. Hmm…which one did I use last year? I couldn’t recall for certain but I was pretty sure it had to be the printed out one that used about half of the ingredients as the other one. But the magazine recipe had far more detailed instructions. So, in my (pregnant) mind, I logically thought, I’ll use the ingredients from the printed out recipe but follow the magazine’s instructions! Brilliant, right!? Not right. After about 8 minutes of boiling the ingredients on high heat, I started to smell a bit of a burnt, marshmallow sort of smell. OH no! I had completely ruined the caramels! The pan was entirely burnt on the bottom and the burnt bits were mixing in with the bubbling caramel mixture. I still threw in the vanilla extract at the end, hoping that might magically rectify the situation...somehow. Hub came into the kitchen at that time and I told him what I had done. I’m pretty sure he made a couple “blonde jokes” and asked what I was thinking. Who follows the ingredients from one recipe but the instructions from a different one? Who does that sort of thing? A pregnant woman is all I can guess. I don't know? It seemed so logical at the time.
So the next day I got back in the kitchen again and made a new-to-me recipe, Pecan Mandelbrot. A crumbly sort of bread-like cookie, similar to biscotti. This went much better than the caramels... so I think I'll stick with the Mandelbrot next year!
Hope your Christmas season was merry!
xo~L
5 comments:
We can't wait to welcome this little baby of yours into our family! Christmas was fun, but it will be even more fun next year with your baby and Anna's with us!
Hi, Congratulations to you and your family!!! That is wonderful news and I am happy for you...I can tell that you are pretty excited about expecting. Truthfully, I did not put up a tree this year either...I needed to simplify things in my life too. I will check out your Etsy store...Happy New Year...drop by and check out my Thursday's thrift items...Dawn Suitcase Vignettes
SO excited for you! What an amazing miracle babies are! YAY!
Hi Lynn!
This Aki, and glad to hear about your baby news! congrats♥♥♥
Thanks for all the sweet comments!
.....
Good to hear from you, Aki! Hope things are going well for you in Japan! :)
Post a Comment