Thursday, December 16, 2010

Knitted "Snowball" Garland {Project 3}

snowball garland - 1
Knitted "Snowball" Garland {Project 3}
I don't know what it is about yarn and knitting projects that always evokes a cozy, warm feeling in me. That must be why I do most of my knitting when it is chilly out! This final project requires some basic knitting skills and just a few moments during some chilly evenings to whip up as many of these little knitted balls (or "snowballs") as you desire. This knitted garland will add a layer of warmth to your home or can be used in many other ways too such as trimming a gift, or giving as a gift!

snowball garland - 2

{gather}

~yarn (any colors of your choosing)

~knitting needles (I used size 8)

~tapestry needle

~scissors
snowball garland - how-to

{make}

(Refer to photos above for each step below.)

1. How to knit a ball: Row 1 - Cast on 3 stitches. Row 2 - Knit into front and back of the first 2 stitches, knit 1. Row 3 - Purl 5. Row 4 - Knit 3 stitches, knit into front & back of last 2 stitches. Row 5 - Purl 7. Row 6 - Knit 2 together, knit 3, knit 2 together. Row 7 - Purl 5. Row 8 - Knit 2 together, knit 1, knit 2 together. Row 9 - Slip 1 stitch purl-wise, purl 2 together, pass slipped stitch over. Cut yarn (leave approx. 6" tail) and slip tail through last stitch to secure.

2. This is what your knitting piece will look like at this point.

3. Thread the tail onto the tapestry needle and with the wrong side facing you, weave the yarn in and out around the outer edges of the circle until you end up back where you started.

4. Stuff the center of the circle with some scrap yarn to make the ball more full and as you hold it in place, pull on the tail to form the ball.

5. Tie both tails together in a knot to secure the ball.

6. Thread each tail onto the tapestry needle and pull back through the ball and snip off remaining ends to hide.

7. This is what your finished knitted ball will look like.

8. Repeat above steps to create as many "snowballs" as desired for your garland. Then, thread a tapestry needle with yarn and pull through the center of each ball to create the garland, spreading them apart as much as you prefer. Obviously this project can be tailored to whatever color yarns you prefer or string, twine, ribbon to make the garland.
snowball garland - wrapping
Thanks for joining along in my 2010 series of Christmas projects!
More soon!
~L

5 comments:

l. c said...

these are so cuuuuute!!! ♥ i'm going to see if i can make them!! - if i can! ;-)

Dawn said...

You are soooo talented...I love the knitted snowball tutorial. Drop by and see Timothy Winter my xmas present....Dawn from Suitcase Vignettes.

MUM said...

Whoa, honey! That is so adorable!
do you think even I could knit a ball?

Dionne said...

I gasped when I saw this just now. It's sooooo lovely. So delicate and perfect for Christmas!

Mekkan said...

I've just come from Dionne's blog. I like your blog world on the nature, crafts, cooking---Let me come back from time to time. Nice to "meet" you.