Sunday, March 6, 2011

hello again...

I have no idea where February went...and the first week of March. Well, I sort of do. But it's been so long since I blogged that I had to really think about what my password was. I think I've just been waiting for Spring, almost holding my breath for it really. And enjoying this quiet time before the baby arrives, trying to finish projects, and imagining how much our life is going to change in just about 3 short months! Can one really prepare themself for a baby? I'm trying to accomplish everything and anything before the baby comes. As if I won't ever be able to do anything again after. I know that really isn't the case. But I sure would like to have as much done and organized and squared away as is humanly possible. Is that what they refer to as "nesting?"
Like with this quilt for instance. I just finished it this weekend. When I first started making it and telling someone about it...Hub said that he never thought he'd hear those words come out of my mouth...that I was making a baby quilt. I said that I had no idea they would either! Is there some "quilt-making pregnancy hormone" that switches on? All I know for sure is that this is likely to be the one and only quilt I'll ever make. Potholders seem more up my alley. Maybe even pillows, yes. But another quilt?...don't think so. It's not that I didn't enjoy making it. I did, for the most part. But I learned that working on my sewing machine on bigger things like this makes me very, very nervous and tense. It involved a lot of grumbling with my sewing machine. For me it is not a relaxing hobby. My favorite part was cutting the squares and blindstitching the border on by hand. Perhaps because I had more control over those things. But working with my sewing machine left me a little stressed...although it was mostly due to user error (incompetence) I'm sure. Hub kept me rooted in reality while making it, trying to make me feel better by saying that the baby is just going to leak on it anyway. He's so helpful like that. ;)

I've also been working on a knitted mobile (can't wait to share some photos once done), knitting lots of little socks and bootie things...we (mostly Hub) revamped our laundry/mud room by installing a laundry sink...and I've still been going through heaps of stuff...try to get rid of it.
Far too much time has been spent looking at baby things online, reading reviews, and getting swayed by those reviews only to end up feeling so overwhelmed that I needed to step away from the computer for awhile. So, that's where I've been lately. Knitting and sewing. And waiting for the snow to leave. We are going on our 5th month of snow-covered ground now after all. It's about time, right?
.....
P.S. Thanks, Mum, for all the quilt-making insight.
P.P.S. I learned the hard way that you do not wash the quilt batting prior to assembling your quilt. Even though the package says its "machine-washable." Just don't do it.

2 comments:

MUM said...

Hey Sweetie, What a great job on the quilt! It's beautiful! Great photos of it, too! I am so proud of you!!!! Baby will love it too!

Dana said...

Oh my ... it turned out super cute :) And a blue border ... hmmm ;)