
Mum came up for a little visit late last week and we hung out and did fun girl things while Hub was away on a business trip. We ate Swedish pancakes at a little cafe, did a bit of antiquing, looked through magazines, and did some crafting too of course. Mum also brought up some pretty red Haralson apples that she had just received from a friend's orchard.

So we (or mostly she) made an apple pie. I've never made a pie. Ever. I make quiche all the time...so I'm pretty good at making my own pie crusts. But I've never filled one with fruit, even though I've always wanted to! So mum eagerly offered to teach me how to make her apple pie. I took a few notes and tried to keep up with her and the things she needed for the recipe as she is quite a skilled, speedy lady in the kitchen!
It really would have taken me about an hour to peel these apples by hand, not to mention slicing them all up too. But before I could even finish cleaning up the counter from the pie crust-making, I turned around and she had deftly peeled and sliced all 5 apples for the pie in just minutes!

We mixed the sliced apples with sugar, flour, and cinnamon and poured them into the waiting pie crust. I made a streusel topping (my own adaptation...mum usually puts a second crust over the top) using melted butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
And about 40 minutes later, voila! My kitchen smelled heavenly and the pie was pure bliss! Is it wrong to have pie for dinner and breakfast the following morning? I think not!.....
mum's apple pie
pie crust
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp salt
Mix together with pastry blender and roll out flat, using extra flour to keep from sticking. Place in pie dish.
apple filling
about 6 cups apple slices
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Mix apples with sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a big bowl. Pour into pie dish.
streusel
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
3 Tbsp melted butter
Mix dry ingredients together, pour butter over, and toss with fork until large chunks form. Cover apples with streusel.
Bake at 425 degrees for about 40-45 minutes. Enjoy!
3 comments:
It is nice to have some one on one time with mom! This pie looks amazing....I am soooo going to try it!
Thanks and have a great Tuesday. xoxo
Oh yum. This is seriously going to make my stomach picky for pie - I need to go get me some apples!
It looks so delicious! What a nice thing to share with you mom! I miss my mother´s desserts and meals!
Post a Comment