Monday, October 5, 2009

Lutsen

Hub and I headed up the north shore of Lake Superior to spend a restful, woodsy weekend in Lutsen. While the weather was dismally gray and misty, accompanied by the kind of damp cold that seems to seep deep into your bones, it still couldn't detract from the beauty of this place. The tumultuous weather also made for some of the biggest, most amazing waves I've seen on the lake in a long time. Yet what we lacked for in good weather, we more than made up for in gastronomical delights!

We indulged in a fair amount of fish...Hub often orders it and we always end up sharing our meals. He had a very good Swordfish for dinner one evening, deep fried Herring the next, and we also made a stop to the smoked fish house on our way up where he purchased a chunk of smoked Salmon. As he was purchasing the salmon, I, rather out of character, impulsively grabbed a couple homemade caramels that were sitting in a big bowl on the counter. And they turned out to be the best caramels we've ever had. I wish I had purchased the whole bowl of them! Funny how something so small was a little highlight of the "foodie" part of this trip for me. Another highlight was the White Truffle Gnocchi we shared at Nokomis one day. I hope there are truffles in heaven! ;)


While most of our time was spent hiking around Lutsen, the Cascade River, and the gorgeous hike to Carlton Peak, we also squeezed in a massage (for me) and a little misty golf (for Hub). It's not too surprising that we spent time soaking in the hot tub, but what was surprising for us was our closing out the evenings rather competitively at the lodge's Ping Pong table...which Hub was victorious at every single time... But it made for a pretty good weekend all in all!

6 comments:

Polly Rowan said...

I've tagged you!
Here:

http://prettypollysprettythings.blogspot.com/2009/10/favourites.html

Dana said...

Hot tubbing and ping pong ... HOW FUN!!! I love the rock skipper ~ rock climber photo :)

Dionne said...

Homemade caramels sound like the PERFECT impulse buy to me, lol.

That smoked salmon looks divine, you always have such yummy food to go along with your pretty adventures!

MUM said...

Wow! I love all of your photos!!!!
I feel like I'm almost there!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

Wow, looks beautiful. AND, that Gnocchi looks AMAZING! I'm addicted to gnocchi though...
-chelsey

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

The hubs is from Duluth. I asked him about Lutsen and he said it's beautiful up there. What a getaway!