Saturday, August 1, 2009

Currants {pretty little jewels}

Just the other day, I discovered these pretty berries, currants, growing right next to my "garden in the woods", slightly overshadowed by the wild raspberry bushes. I was so happy to find these gems! Although there aren't too many and they are quite tart when eaten plain, I'm already dreaming of ways I'll use them, mostly by incorporating them simply for aesthetic reasons...just like jewels...to dress up fruit tartlets more artfully...or to dot some plain scones with bright red pops of prettiness.

Also, they reminded me of a favorite article about tarts in an old MS Living mag from July 2004. I loved all the photos in this feature and saved the magazine just for that reason. Below are a couple pages from it...spot the currants? Although I've always loved fruit tarts, especially those at Cafe Latte, and of course the tasty ones lining the windows of Paris patisseries...it was really this very article that inspired me to try making them for myself. I even bought the long, rectangular tart pan (shown in another photo) from Williams-Sonoma that year...just for my tart-making pleasure. And so obsessed I became that I even served tarts that August instead of cake at Hub's birthday party. So I think these currants are telling me perhaps it's time for another tart-making session.
P.S. Happy August! Can you believe that it's August already?

3 comments:

Dana said...

Hey :)

They ARE pretty little gems ... how do you tell currants apart from bird-berries (whatever those are)??? I usually assume little red, round berries are for the birds ...

And, NO, I cannot believe it's August!!! Summer is much too short!

LBB said...

Well, I've seen them before (we had them growing behind our house, remember?), and then I happened upon a wild berry book while in Barnes the other day and it said you cannot mistake these for any other poisonous kind...given the shape of the leaf and whatnot, and for final verification, I emailed some photos to Mom...the final authority! Which made Hub very pleased...although he is still hesitant to eat them, even though we both now have and we're still alive! :)

Dionne said...

Where has the year gone???? It has flown by!

I want to get a tart pan. I have never made tarts before, but they are so pretty and yummy. You have inspired me!