Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tiny Feather

I found this tiny feather yesterday. Can you guess who it belongs to?
Here's a clue...spot the emerald green on the tip of the feather?

.

.

.

It's a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird feather!
We have a hummingbird feeder hanging from a little post within a flower planter on our deck and I found it clinging on the base of the feeder. I'm pretty certain that if not for that particular placement of the feather, these feathers would be nearly impossible to find given their diminutive size.

The hummers have been insanely busy here in recent weeks and I'm always fascinated whenever I watch them. I never seem to lose the awe and wonder I feel when I see them...the males have such a brilliant ruby throat, that looks almost like an other-worldly color when the light catches it just so...the amazing way they can fly backwards...the speed of their wings when they flutter at the feeder which my eyes can only absorb as a blur. They've also been chasing each other like crazy too. Perhaps its a game. Or perhaps they're just trying to keep the feeder all to themselves. Very seldom will 2 hummers cooperate and sit at the feeder together, drinking the sweet sugar water peacefully.

It's fun to hold just a bit of their emerald green-ness in my hands...to view it up close. Just how tiny is it? It's just a little over a 1/4 of an inch. Here's a little perspective...

Hope you're having a swell week so far! :)

2 comments:

Dionne said...

Oh wow, it's tiny! What an adorable, delicate, cute little feather!

MUM said...

It is so so tiny! I am amazed that you spotted it! I have never seen a hummingbird feather except on the body of a hummingbird! That is a special find! What's even more amazing is how God designed this marvelous little bird and what joy it brings to observe these flying jewels!