Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Faux Flowers, Shop Harmony, & Sneak Peaks...

Do you ever feel like there is just so much you want to do, so many ideas competing for priority in your mind, that it’s hard to really get any of them accomplished? That's been me lately. I’ve been in one of those very creative spurts. I’m not sure what drives them, I only know I have very little control over them. So lately I’ve had plenty of random things in the works that I’m quite excited about. And I think it’s pretty apparent from the layout of the photo collage above just how frenzied the right side of my brain has been lately. (That’s the creative side, correct?)
So it’s a bit odd that I should be talking about shop harmony…
But amidst this recent creative frenzy, I’ve also been thinking quite a lot lately about having consistency in my shop…consistent colors, fonts, wording, and style elements that ultimately convey the idea and feeling behind LillyBonBon. It's taken a while to get to this point...for me, it's not something that can be forced. I've been trying new things often yet not feeling quite satisfied. But that’s what keeps us striving to become better, no? My focus for LillyBonBon is always to come across as pretty yet woodsy sort of artwork. Not pretty as in the “super cutesy/sugary-coated creations” way. And not too woodsy as in the “total treehugger/earthy/gritty” sort of way. But in a way where pretty and woodsy complement each other, meeting happily in the middle. I wasn't really aware of that in the beginning, yet as time goes on I can see that it is my style just naturally coming out, something that I then want to further define. Yet I don’t want to be restricted by any of these notions either, feeling as though I can’t try something that isn’t in harmony with all this. So I’ve been changing fonts. Trying different packaging elements. Rethinking color themes. I’m finally happy with some of the latest shop revisions…for now. So I thought I’d share a few peaks of what I’m talking about...new business “thank you” tags, new design elements, a new color palette, etc...

One of those things in the works are "faux flower" sculptures…sweet flowers for cupcakes that will never fade. I attempted the first one (shown in the collage) in shades of pink. And while I’m pretty happy with the result…it was rather difficult to do the paper mache-ing in all those tiny flower petal crevices. And so I wonder if it's worth it. But the first time is always the hardest, isn’t it? So I’m sure I’ll be working on perfecting this as well for quite some time.
.....
P.S. In addition to the faux flowers, here are a few other little peaks of what I've been working on lately...
.....
More soon! ~xoxo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Oooo, I love the stuff Auntie makes. She can make anything," said E while viewing your blog. Your new ideas are adorable. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

LBB said...

Awww, thanks! That's just about the sweetest comment ever! :)

La Motte Valois said...

What a great website to visit on a Sunday afternoon. The fading colours and your personal touch is simply awesome. Great works so far.
A big hug from New Zealand,
Kia Ora!