Friday, August 14, 2009

PGA & Family Artwork

We went to the first round of PGA Championship Tournament yesterday. Cameras were not allowed. Nor cell phones. So since I didn't have any photos from the event to share, I thought these handmade birthday cards (that Hub received the night before at a little suprise party for him) were the next best thing. The cards we get from our little nieces and nephew are always the best. We have a bevy of budding artists in our family.
The rope in the cute card above really stands out to me as I at times felt very much like cattle yesterday. The whole course was covered in rope. And you had to stay on the right side of the rope. Sometimes it would be moved from one pole to another so you could walk through before it was closed up again. Sort of like cattle, no?
We were there for over 10 hours and walked about a million miles. (Okay, more like 10 million.) My legs felt like they were about to fall off. We walked a lot. Did I mention that we walked a lot? It felt good though. I felt strong. But near the end of it I kept wanting to "borrow" the big, fluffy-looking, gray mic pick-up thingy that the cameramen would walk around with and put it close to the golfers as they were about to hit. It looked like one big cozy pillow. I just wanted to sit on it for a little while. That's all. Oh, and it was really hot and sunny too.
There was also some security around. But I didn't see anyone get arrested or in trouble, as this card may suggest. It's quite a cheery birthday card, don't you think? ;)
(It might make more sense to note that my nephew has a slight affinity for cops and crime-fighting in general.)
And we saw Tiger...a lot. I heard him say "thank you" to the lady right next to me who wished him good luck as he walked by us, just 2 feet away.
Other things...we saw 2 guys get hit by golf balls, just after the fact really. One was a spectator. One a PGA worker. And we watched as Ian Poulter ran off the fairway in his crazy plaid pants, escaping the (cattle) rope to use the nearby biffy. So from then on I referred to him as "plaid porta potty pants Poulter." Fun to say, right?
.....
Hope you have a lovely weekend! I plan on "not walking" very much. How about you?

4 comments:

MUM said...

Those cards from the kiddos are so cute!!! I didn't really get to see any of them as it's always kind of a blur for the one who is having the party. Fun to hear about yours and hub's day at the PGA! (Hey, I'm a poet!)

Dana said...

The kids got a kick out of seeing their cards again :)

Unknown said...

Very entertaining post. It was fun to hear about your day at the PGA. - Doug

Dionne said...

These cards are all so precious. I love the cute drawings.

Ooooh I do imagine all that walking would add up at the end of the day. You probably slept like a baby that night. And how exciting that you saw Tiger!!